SAN DIEGO (July 17, 2019) – FUTURETECHLIVE! @ COMIC-CON is back for its fourth year, as part of the celebration of the 50th anniversary of the legendary annual pop culture extravaganza in San Diego. This year, FutureTechLive! also adds another component – Esports Lounge @ Comic-Con, which brings the excitement of Esports to the mix, with participation from one of the winningest pro teams and various celebrities.
FutureTechLive! is the hub at Comic-Con for immersive experiences and technology. This official event of Comic-Con International San Diego has added more space dedicated to Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality, Mixed Reality, Gaming, robotics, and other leading-edge attractions. The event also includes a Space Zone, in which attendees can walk on the moon with their friends on a virtual lunar mission, enter a pop-up planetarium from UCSD’s Center for Astrophysics and Space Sciences, and experience the International Space Station in VR. On the first day, there is also a Blockchain gathering, where attendees can learn how Bitcoin and its brethren are underpinning digital worlds.
FUTURETECHLIVE! @ COMIC-CON, held in the Omni San Diego Hotel, was created in 2016 in conjunction with Comic-Con International to celebrate the best and boldest in the exploding areas of VR, AR, XR and more. It showcases the latest innovations and inspirations from the worlds of Hollywood, gaming and tech.
This event introduces the latest tech experiences from film studios, television networks, gaming companies, scientists, space explorers, publishers, designers, influencers, and innovators. Attendees will have hands-on experience with the attractions and learn about new technologies.
On the educational front: University of California San Diego is bringing a domed planetarium. The San Diego Air & Space Museum is displaying space memorabilia. The Fleet Science Center will run its “Two Scientists Walk into a Bar” promotion, with various scientists answering questions from attendees. Sony is bringing KOOV, their coding, robotics and design kit which allows for limitless design combinations, building and collaboration.
ESPORTS LOUNGE @ COMIC-CON, produced by FutureTechLive! and Greenlit Content, a Rekt Global company, is the official gaming zone of Comic-Con. Held in the Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina Hotel, the event, features a charity livestream for Extra Life filled with celebrity and influencer appearances and daily tournaments for a variety of games. There are prizes and giveaways from HyperX, Microsoft, Alienware, State Farm, and others. Shacknews is the official gaming site. Attendees are welcome to hang out and play casually, or compete in tournaments for Apex Legends, Tekken 7, Soul Calibur VI, Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite, Brawlhalla, and more. There will be both PC and console play. Esports pros and Comic-con celebrities will also be getting in on the fun all week long.
The game play is hosted by Team Liquid, the multi-team Esports group that is among the winningest in all of Esports. Team Liquid, which has been dominant across games such as League of Legends CS GO, recently announced a partnership with Marvel – Marvel+Liquid – and will also showcase their new Marvel-infused jerseys and gear. The festivities will be live-streamed on Twitch and Mixer.
“We wanted to create the ultimate playground for people coming to the granddaddy of consumer events,” said Scott Bobrow, FutureTechLive! Co-Founder/Producer. “In one place, we spotlight the coolest immersive experiences and earth-shattering technologies that will change the way we live and interact with others.”
“We also wanted to turn up the energy with Esports this year,” said Mark Murphy, Co-Founder/Producer of the events. “Gaming is so much a part of pop culture, and the characters and narratives from games are not unlike those from comic books, television and films. In fact, more money is spent on gaming than on movies each year, and competitive gaming fills arenas and has a massive fan base.”
“We’ve designed the Esports Lounge to give Comic Con fans the opportunity to experience what it’s like to be an Esports pro, competing in today’s top video games with real prizes on the line,” said John Gaudiosi, president of Greenlit Content, a Rekt Global company. “While attendees will be able to compete hands-on with the latest Esports titles, we’re also raising money for charity through our Extra Life celebrity and influencer livestream, which will reach over 280,000 concurrents across the four days.”
Attractions & Activities include:
- LEGENDS OF LIGHTFALL – Explore the world of The Legends of Lightfall, a brand new comic series filled with cutting-edge technology and vivid visuals. Join Kort, Sofia, Treads, and their hover droid, ABDA, on a treacherous quest as they grapple with Lightstalkers, marauders, and poisonous air on the perilous path to the underground city of Steamhaven.
- NOITOM – Noitom focuses on mapping the human body, its movements and interaction with the environment. The company’s name, Noitom, the word ‘motion’ spelled backwards, embraces its dedication to the art of motion capture. See what their innovative mapping and haptics can do when you interact with the hero Kort from “Legends of Lightfall.”
- NORTH AR – A darling of this year’s CES, North’s Focals are custom-built smart glasses with a holographic display only you can see. Focals smart glasses let you see all the things you love without looking down at your phone.
- RAYMOND VR – Raymond’s Virtual Reality Simulator is used in the industrial sector, as a cutting edge tool that can simplify everything from hiring to teaching to developing employees for enhanced performance and efficiency. It makes VR not just fun, but powerful for work too.
- DEPLOY VR – Based right in San Diego, Deploy both builds VR & AR systems and activates multiplayer, untethered arena VR experiences. Here, attendees can have a blast attacking the castle and fighting dragons in Dragon Tower VR.
- VR ART BATTLE! – Deploy VR is also overseeing a competition in which attendees can draw and sculpt in VR… competing against other attendees. On your mark, get set, paint!
- VR LEO – Redefining arcade fun, VR Leo introduces a new way for people to experience VR as arcade games. Their unique platforms allow for a multi-sensory experience.
- TEAM BUNNY – What do you do when you come face to mask with a part robot/ part human assassin dressed in a high-tech all black bunny suit. From the mind of visionary creator Patrick Ecclesine, and showcasing incredible cutting edge production technology, venture into Bunny’s world, if you dare; come away with one helluva selfie.
- EDGE XR – Fusing the worlds of hip-hop, rap, marital arts and comic books, the Edge XR augmented reality app places you in worlds you may never want to leave. A creative partnership of acclaimed film director Matty Rich and emerging rapper Lazarus.
- COLLEGIATE VR – VR has made its way to college campuses, with VR esports clubs setting up and competing in VR games. Here, they literally get attendees in gear, to play VR games such as: Beat Saber, Echo Arena, Space Pirate, and Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes.
- PLAYTHECROWD XR – PTC is pioneering XR and digital mobile activations to incentivize guests and fans, who earn points in campaigns. Through their dashboard, clients have the option to be broadcasted to their network of mixed reality apps to boost impressions and increase awareness among mobile-first, urban millennial fans and digital consumers.
- SPRITE LIGHTS – Whose says tech can’t be fashionable and fun? These quirky LED fueled designs will make you smile and make you want to play with them all day long.
- SONY KOOV – Discover the coding, robotics and design kit for the innovators of tomorrow. For the classroom or at home, KOOV is a one stop shop solution for STEAM education with everything needed to start building robots no matter what the skill level or understanding of coding/robotics. Children and educators have access not only to the KOOV app but also to an international community of KOOV users which allows them to share their own creations, code and ideas.
- ALICE SPACE LUNAR WALK VR EXPERIENCE – Developed in collaboration with NASA by Noitom, Alice Space takes participants to a mixed reality environment where they land on the moon, interact with controls and with other players inside of the spacecraft, and eventually walk onto the surface of the moon to explore the terrain, engage with props and look up to planet Earth. Up to six guests at one time will be able to don virtual reality goggles and VR backpacks to freely roam the inside of a NASA workstation and then explore the surface of the moon in mixed reality. The experience is so realistic, it has brought some NASA officials to tears. Only seen by the public in Tokyo, this debuts in North America here at Comic-Con.
- MISSION: ISS – Explore the International Space Station 250 miles above Earth with this VR experience from MAGNOPUS. Learn to move around modules in zero gravity, examine experiments and missions being performed on the Station. Dock a resupply capsule, and go on an EVA to check out the exterior of the Station.
- UCSD – CENTER FOR ASTROPHYSICS & SPACE SCIENCE (CASS) Pop-up Planetarium – Walk into this portable planetarium that inflates like a bounce house, and experience the wonders of the cosmos, with members of the UCSD Division of Physical Sciences as your guides.
- SAN DIEGO AIR & SPACE MUSEUM – The museum in Balboa Park in San Diego brings some actual Space craft to exhibit… for ultimate selfies.
- FLEET SCIENCE CENTER – The acclaimed San Diego institution is bringing fun its celebrated “Two Scientists Walk into a Bar” experience — which means several of the best and brightest of the area scientists will be on hand to answers attendee’s questions!
- BLOCKCHAINBTM – They are rolling out Bitcoin ATM (i.e., “BTM”) machines across the country, with more than 20 already deployed. Withdraw some bitcoin yourself.
Outside the Omni
- WARNER BROS. IMMERSIVE EXPERIENCES – Set behind the Omni Hotel, fans can enjoy a personal experience with two of the top films of 2019 – Shazam! and Pokémon Detective Pikachu. Fans will have the opportunity to experience the magic of Ryme City in the immersive walkthrough pop-up based on the hit film Pokémon Detective Pikachu. This is complete with Instagrammable moments from the neon cityscape, Ryme City marketplace, film prop displays, an infinity room and multiple characters from the film, including Detective Pikachu himself. The Shazam! activation gives fans the chance to visit the Chilladelphia Winter Carnival (featured in the film) in sunny San Diego to play games, win exclusive prizes, and pose for some fun photo opps.
Esports Lounge (at Marriott Marquis)
Game play hosted by TEAM LIQUID
Competitive tournaments for:
- Apex Legends
- Tekken 7
- Soul Calibur VI
- Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite
Live Streaming on
- Hyper X, Alienware, Microsoft, Shacknews, State Farm, Honda
FutureTechLive! and Esports Lounge is also curating dynamic panels with industry leaders and pacesetters.
Unreal Gaming: A Deep Dive of the Engine that Rules them all.
Thursday, 7/18/19, 10:00a.m. – 11:00a.m., Room: Indigo Ballroom, Hilton San Diego Bayfront
Some of the greatest games will killer graphics have been built on Epic’s masterpiece, the Unreal Engine. Take a deep dive into building with an all-star team of Producers and Developers. Moderated by Sinclair Fleming.
The Ever-expanding World of Esports
Thursday, 7/18/19, 6:00p.m. – 7:00p.m., Convention Center Room: 5AB
To say the expansion of Esports is fast and furious is an understatement. Tournaments and sponsorships continue to grow. Our panel of gamers, producers and sponsors discuss its meteoric growth, its massive engagement, and what the future holds.
- Moderator: Anastasia Staten – Executive Director, ESA FOUNDATION
- Andy Babb – Executive Vice President – SUPER LEAGUE GAMING
- Patrick Dees – Co-Founder & Chief Gaming Officer, FAN CONTROLLED FOOTBALL LEAGUE
- Madison Hight – VP, V[email protected], COLLEGIATE VIRTUAL REALITY ESPORTS LEAGUE
- A member of Team Liquid / Axiomatic – TBD
Rising Stars in Tech – Drivers of Innovation and Entertainment (and how to join them)
Friday, 7/19/19, 6:30p.m. – 7:30p.m., Convention Center Room: 5AB
This panel will spotlight innovators from Gaming, Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality, Artificial Intelligence, and Robotics. They will discuss what is here and what is coming down the pike.
- Moderator: David Bloom – Contributor, FORBES MAGAZINE
- Kwaku Aning – Director, Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurial Thinking (CIET) and KOOV Ambassador
- Richard Lane – Head of Legacy Center Technology
- Joanna Popper – Global Head of VR, HP
- Stacey Patch – Business Director, RAYMOND
- Patty Liu – CEO, VRLEO
- Stuart Volkow – Consultant, North Focals
Game as a Pro – 3.0
Saturday, 7/20/19, 5:30p.m. – 6:30p.m., Convention Center Room: 5AB
What does it take to become an Esports pro? A game designer? A programmer? This panel will give you the heads up in making your dreams a bit more achievable. Presented by Team Liquid in collaboration with Future Tech Live and the Esports Lounge.
- Moderator: Anastasia Staten – Executive Director, THE ESA FOUNDATION
- Steve Arhancet – CEO, TEAM LIQUID
- Pro-Gamers & Surprise Guests TBD
The Year in Space and Beyond
Saturday, 7/20/19, 8:00p.m. – 9:00p.m., Convention Center Room: 25ABC
Reviewing the incredible year of discoveries, advances and milestones which include: The EHT Black Hole Image; more super massive black holes and exoplanets confirmed; gravity waves (what are they?); evidence of Quantum Entanglement; private space flight milestones; the ISS “Organoids” mission (micro brains in space); and the results of the “space twins” study.
- Moderator: Stuart Volkow – Project Manager, Ax Center for Experimental Cosmology (ACEC) @ UCSD.
- Dr. Brian Keating – Director of the Simons Observatory (the world’s most ambitious and most sensitive instrument ever designed to study the origins of the Universe): Professor, UCSD; Author, Losing the Nobel Prize (one of Amazon’s top 20 science books of the year)
- Dr. Andrew Friedman – Astronomer, Cosmologist, and Data Scientist; UCSD, MIT, Harvard, Berkeley
- Dr. Shelley Wright – Associate Prof., Physics, UCSD / Center for Astrophysics & Space Sciences
Hollywood & Emerging Tech – The Evolution of Entertainment 3.0
Sunday, 7/21/19, 3:00p.m. – 4:00p.m., Convention Center Room: 24ABC
This diverse panel explores where Hollywood meets technology and where things are headed. Includes a discussion on the future of media distribution, across multi-media platforms, from some of the top providers of tech and content.
- Moderator: David Bloom – Contributor, FORBES MAGAZINE
- Ted Schilowitz – Futurist, PARAMOUNT STUDIOS
- Douglas Buffone – Vice President VR & Immersive, SKYDANCE
- Matty Rich – CEO, EDGE XR
- Patrick Ecclesine – Director, Photographer, VANITY FAIR
- Lori Schwartz – Governor of Immersive Arts, THE TELEVISION ACADEMY
- Nick Eisele – Associate Producer, Games & Virtual Reality, NBC UNIVERSAL
- Steve Arhancet – CEO, TEAM LIQUID
Special category events within FUTURETECHLIVE! @ COMIC-CON include:
MEDIA PREVIEW – Wednesday, July 17 at 3:00 – 6:00 p.m. (Media only)
Allows for media, bloggers and influencers a first experience of the event. Comic-Con passes are not required for this session.
DEVELOPERS/EDUCATORS/INDUSTRY PREVIEW – Wednesday, July 17 at 6:00 – 9:00 p.m. (Developers, Educators, Industry)
This exclusive session allows for developers, designers, gamers, educators, and industry folks to get sneak peek of the event. COMIC-CON passes are not required for this session.
BLOCKCHAIN DAY – Wednesday, July 17 at 5pm – 9pm
This mini conference is for people interested in learning more about how Blockchain is impacting gaming, business, and other sectors, and how Bitcoin and other crypto currencies and tokens are underpinning it. COMIC-CON passes are not required for this session.
FUTURETECHLIVE! @ COMIC-CON and ESPORTS LOUNGE kicks off on Wednesday, July 17, with a preview day, from 3pm – 9pm. Regular days and hours are: Thursday, Friday, Saturday (July 18 – 21) 9:30 a.m. – 7 p.m. and Sunday (July 21) 9:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
FUTURETECHLIVE! (including Media Preview, Industry Preview, and Blockchain Day) is in the Grand Ballroom and foyer of the Omni San Diego Hotel at 675 L Street, which directly faces the city’s Convention Center, home of San Diego International Comic-Con International, and is next to Petco Park stadium. Enter the Omni at the main entrance and then take the escalator up.
ESPORTS LOUNGE is in the Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina Hotel at 333 W. Harbor Drive in downtown, next to the Convention Center. Get your game on in the Pacific Ballrooms 17-19.
For more information about FUTURETECHLIVE! and ESPORTS LOUNGE @ COMIC-CON, visit www.futuretechlive.com